Monday, November 3, 2014

Journal Entry 6- Digital Story Telling Will you Survive?

Whew.. That was awesome yet completely time consuming. I  created  the below  digital story example for my students and it honestly took me a lot more time than I thought it would. I'm glad I started it early this week and didn't wait till last minute. Here are some facts you should know about it:

I teach 6th Grade Language Arts
The students objective will be to create a Digital Story using three different lesson plans.
Lesson Plan 1: Survival Tactics
Lesson Plan 2: Elements of a Story
Lesson Plan 3: How to create a Digital Story and post it online

I took me a while to sync the video with the narrative. Please be advised, there are some errors. .

Like I mentioned, I teach 6th grade language arts at a STEM school for advanced students. While language arts may not be their forte, many of my students enjoy my class and especially the creative writing portion. This digital story provides an example for the upcoming Unit Lesson Plan. The Unit Plan will incorporate a novel study, elements of a short story and implementing media into their creative writing. I left empty slides to illustrate to the students that they must complete 10 slides, but I did not feel it necessary to potentially bore you with my short story. Please critique my example!! I welcome all advice. When you comment please address the following questions:

• What did you like about the digital story?
• Identify any problems or errors. (Politely!).
• Is this example appropriate for the grade level/subject area it is intended?


Thanks, 
Mrs. Munoz

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bellmarie,

    Overall, I think you did a wonderful job creating your story. I also felt that the process was a lot more time consuming than I expected. I just wanted to begin by saying that I can tell you put a lot of effort in and I think you did a really great job.
    What did you like about the digital story?
    I really liked how clear your images were and how clear your narration of the story was. This made it easy to follow along and remain engaged while viewing. I also liked how you used a lot of expression while reading. I feel that this helps the viewers better understand the story.

    • Identify any problems or errors. (Politely!).
    As you mentioned in your post, there were a few errors in your project. For example, at times there was ringing in the background, some words were hard to read, and your voice cut off at several parts. Although there were a few errors, I do not believe this took away too much from my overall viewing experience. I was able to clearly understand the story and what was intended for your students.

    • Is this example appropriate for the grade level/subject area it is intended?
    Yes, I feel that your 6th grade students would be able to complete this activity, given that you teach at an advanced level. Again, I think you did a really great job creating this example, Also, some of the errors in your story could be used a learning experience for your 6th graders or may even help make them feel less overwhelmed. No one’s work is ever perfect. This may be a good example to show students that some mistakes are ok, as long as they try their best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You so much! I really appreciate the feedback. =)

    ReplyDelete