Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Integrating Technology


Introduction to Integrating Technology, Will Our Schools Shift? And Reflection on 14 Things that are Obsolete in 21st Century Schools

 

6th Grader-“Mrs. Munoz, May I please call my mother?”

Me-“Yes, you have to dial 9, in order to dial out”

6th grader proceeds to grab a landline phone and attempt to dial. 
After a couple of seconds he looks up in bewilderment. 

6th Grader- “Where do you hit send?”

 

The above interaction could not have amused me more as I stood there watching my student struggle with an “Ancient” phone. There was no send or call button for him to press and much to his surprise, when he dialed the number, the phone started to automatically ring out to the number he had dialed. The above interaction is a great way to illustrate the way technology influences our students. As we read in the first chapter of our textbook, our students are part of a DIGITAL GENERATION, they are surrounded by technology and therefore we need to adapt to those technological advances in order to teach them effectively. 

Considering McLeod’s Video, I was fascinated by the facts he presented, but when posed with the question of whether or not our schools would shift, I felt very daunted. Economic reasons would be one of the major issues in implementing technology. Schools simply do not have enough in order to keep up with the demands of emerging technology. I do not think that the majority of the schools in America will shift. A supporting example I can provide would be the BYOD policy at the school I currently teach at. BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) is currently not allowed at my school. I am furtively trying to change that and will bring a proposal to the principle in order to allow my kids to BYOD and implement them into some sort of educational activity. With all of the great Apps and Programs for tablets and online, how could he not agree?

"14 Things That Are Obsolete in 21st Century Schools."   By  Mr. Ă“marsson's was definitely an eye opening experience. Below I have commented on all of the points listed by Mr. Omarsson’s Blog post.

1. Computer Rooms- I completely agree. I  feel that computer based instruction should be an essential part of every class room, If we are preparing these students to work on America, Can you tell me ONE job that will never require some type of computer skills? Even job in the manual labor field will need to use a computer to Clock In/ Clock Out.

2. Isolated classrooms- I don’t agree with his sentiment completely. I don’t want parents in my room whenever they want, I would feel distracted, and also for safety reasons, I wouldn’t want to have just anyone walking in. I do agree with the Skype possibilities, in fact if anyone knows of a program where my students can interact globally with other classrooms. Please advise.

3. Schools that don’t have WI-Fi- This is a given. WIFI should be free for EVERYONE.  In fact, if you didn’t already know, Bright house offers families of low income with internet for as low as $9.95 a month, and computer rentals. No I do not work for them. I just think it’s a great advantage for some of our at risk students.

4. Banning phones and tablets- As I mentioned before, I do not approve of this. If they have phones and tablets, why not teach them how to use it for educational purposes.

5. Tech director with an administrator access- I tried downloading FLASH in order to show a video to my students, and was prompted for administrator access. Not only is this frustrating, but not conducive to my lesson plans.

6. Teachers that don’t share what they do- I was proud when a fellow teacher who has been teaching far longer than me, actually stole my work. She saw my worksheet on the printer and commended me for a great and creative approach. So, of course, SHARING is CARING.

7. Schools that don’t have Facebook or Twitter- I am happy to say that my school promotes social media. Now how do I create a class only page?

8. Unhealthy cafeteria food- Completely agree. I don’t need to explain this.

9. Starting school at 8 o’clock for teenagers- I don’t want to work 10-6.  I don’t agree with this making a school obsolete. Are these teens going to all find jobs from 10-6 as grown adults? I don’t think so.

10. Buying poster-, website- and pamphlet design for the school. This is a great idea! It is a project based initiative and can be scored by a rubric. Creativity meets demand. As the leader of the newspaper club, my first task will be to have students create flyers to invite reporters, photographers and artist to collaborate.

11. Traditional libraries- Completely agree. As online reading become more traditional, I believe the role of the library should change. Does everyone know that Orange County Public library offers digital resources and if you love the traditional book, (as do I), they DELIVER to your door! I don’t know about you, but library books to my front door sounds like heaven.

12. All students get the same- I have an integrated classroom setting and I feel that the exceptionalities of some of my students create diversity.  This is always welcome.

.13. One-Professional development-workshop-fits-all- Workshops should be looked forward to, not dreaded. Or at least provide choices.

14. Standardized tests to measure the quality of education- The dreaded FCATS. There is a reason why they are gone!!! There are many other ways to assess! Standardized tests should NEVER be the only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment